With more than 107,000 businesses in the UK operating within the creative and cultural industries, this is a dynamic and fast-moving sector in which to work. New job roles are being introduced all the time, and with advances in technology making their mark, the growth in new roles is set to continue.
Recent Government reports show that employment in the sector is growing at four times the pace of the UK workforce as a whole, with more than 2 million people employed – making this sector an attractive place for people looking to utilise their creative skills.
There are lots of different jobs on offer in the creative sector, including those in:
- Performing Arts, Broadcast & Media – broadcast journalist, dancer, musician, circus performer, photographer, stage manager, sound engineer
- Arts, Craft & Design – blacksmith, ceramics, dress maker, jewellery designer, make-up artist, museum curator, tattooist
- Publishing & Journalism – advertising copywriter, broadcast journalist, newspaper journalist, public relations officer, translator
There are more than 550,000 people employed in the sector, doing jobs which range from animation, to computer games, through to film production, radio and television.
Would you like to find out more about a career in the creative and cultural sector? Then take a look at some of these job profiles, which will tell you more about the skills required, entry criteria and how much you could earn!
- Sector Skills Council - Creative & Cultural Skills
- Creative Skill Set
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport
- Creative England
- Find an Apprenticeship
Examples of Apprenticeship standards
Many local training providers offer a wide range of training and qualifications to support you in gaining the job you want – everything from media, games and computing through to drama, dance and music. Visit our members page where you can access more information on specific providers.
You can enter the sector in a number of ways, including:
- Full-time / part-time college courses/ school leaver
- Higher National Certificates (HNC)
- Higher National Diplomas (HND)
- Foundation Degree
- Bachelors Degree